Saturday, June 28, 2014

Day 09: Hanbok!

한복 is the traditional Korean attire that is still seen in modern times, during special occasions. For several years now I've wanted to buy one, and so I was determined to today!

There are several ways to access hanboks, such as a photo cafe where you can dress up in a hanbok and get your photo taken. Or you can go to shopping markets, such as in 남대문 or 동대문, where hanboks are already made and range from roughly $90 to $150, depending on simplicity. Or you can go to a custom made shop, which is more for couples getting married (or something more serious than just wanting a hanbok). At these shops, you choose the colors and patterns you want, then the workers take your measurements and custom make your desired hanbok. I accidentally went to one of these shops, and the workers were so friendly, I couldn't walk out empty handed without feeling guilty. (Here is the shop's web page). I explained to them that I wanted a hanbok on the spot, so they chose their sample hanbok pieces and helped me to dress up. After trying on the puffy first piece, then long skirt, and finally the long sleeved top, I fell in love with this hanbok!
The shop owners told me to come back in an hour so they can hem and make adjustments to the hanbok. When I came back, everything was neatly packed in a beautiful box. To my surprise, my set includes: the puffy first piece, trousers, the long skirt, the long sleeved top, a set of hair tassels, a purse and shoes as well! And lastly, they offered me two jade rings as a gift. In all, this cost 250,000₩, which is actually reasonable considering all that it comes with and that fully custom made sets start at 350,000₩ at this shop.

Pictures will be posted in a few months~

No comments:

Post a Comment