Friday, June 20, 2014

Day 01: The Arrival

My long-awaited trip to Korea has officially started today! After flying for half the day, I arrived in Seoul on Friday, June 19, 2014 at night.

To my pleasant surprise, the hotel I'm staying at is affiliated with Etude House! The concierge gave us ten Etude Green Tea face mask sheets.
And at the elevators of my floor, there's a pretty vanity with Etude's Entoinette nail polish line. The tenth floor is even dedicated as the Princess Floor, but actually it's just the same as my floor.
There are other themed floors too, like The Face Shop.
And inside each room, there are complementary necessities provided by Etude: Silk Scarf Shampoo, Milk Talk body wash, Skin Mal:Gem Smoother and Emulsion.
After gawking over all the Etude products, we headed for the streets of Myungdong. We didn't get far, as this one intersection was all we needed for the night.
We went to a food stand that had dried octopus and squid and ordered a bag of octopus slices. After paying 5 Won, the shop owner then grilled it once more to warm it up. 
He didn't allow any pictures of his stand so I only have one of the octopus.

Behind the food stall was a small Kpop CD shop that had the latest posters plastered on the glass doors (above my label "CD Shop" you can see Infinite's "Last Romeo" and Exo's "Overdose") and was playing none other than...Infinite's latest album! I first heard 로시난테 and then 숨 좀 쉬자. I could not stop fangirling and labeling myself as an obvious tourist obsessed with Kpop. It was here that it finally hit me: I'm in Korea, listening to Infinite on the streets!
After being dragged away from my happiest moment of the day, my family stepped into a quaint restaurant called 신선설농탕.
They served mostly 선농탕 (a kind of milky broth soup with beef), so we ordered that with 떡 along with an order or dumplings. There were also 반찬, kimchi and pickled radish, in buckets at the side of the table ready to self cut and self serve. I tried ordering in Korean, but the waiter kept answering back in English...maybe it's best to go to less touristy places to test my Korean.
Around the front of the restaurant were pictures indicating that a few dramas have been shot here before. Actually, many vendors in Myungdong show that they've been on TV somehow before, which is pretty cool!
Our last stop for the night was 7-11, which had American comfort but loaded with Korean goods. Inside I saw a television ad with Suzy, a Kim So Hyun ad, and...I had to look for Pepsi since Infinite currently endorses it, and found a mini Infinite ad! If only Infinite were on the Pepsi can itself, then I would have bought it.

I can't wait to see what else Seoul has in store for me! Another exciting day awaits~

No comments:

Post a Comment