Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Day 51: Kim Hyun Joong's Restaurant

At 7:30PM on Monday, August 11th, my friend and I decided to pay tribute to Kim Hyun Joong, a large contribution to the hallyu wave for many people, by visiting his restaurant! It's in the outskirts of Seoul, at Seokchon Station (석촌역), so we went for a late dinner at 9.

To get here, take Exit 7 and continue down for about one block, until you face a perpendicular street. Look to your right, and one block down at the left you should see a bright pink sign, and it's there!
Outside of the restaurant there were two large parties of businessmen and inside were locals, friends, couples, very few fangirls, if any. The restaurant itself is small and rectangular, with two rows of tables. Almost every table was full, yet service still seemed very good. 
Near the entrance is a post-it section and they provide pen and paper for you to leave a note. Throughout the walls are photos and posters of Kim Hyun Joong. Here's a pano of the wall with the photos.

There were two guy workers, both very outgoing, speak English well and really try to welcome their guests. One asked us lots of questions in English, like where we are from, if we're students here and how long we've been fans. Honestly, I felt a but uncomfortable being bombarded with questions (as I've been more cautious since meeting that pineapple guy at Woohyun's restaurant). I just let my friend do all the talking, as it was her first time at an idol restaurant and she still follows Kim Hyun Joong while I sadly felt no feels coming here.

My friend asked the guy if Kim Hyun Joong comes here often and if he's met him, and the guy said he's met him and he usually comes once a month.
This is a 치맥 restaurant (chicken and beer), and one chicken dish can serve two people. The guy recommended the original chicken and one other item (the first two on the menu) so we decided to order the original with fried rice cake and two sodas. Each dish is around 17,000₩ and up, which is comprobable to other 치맥 restaurants. 
The guy asked us (again, all of our conversation is in English) if we wanted it with bone or boneless, and we said with bone. But one third into our meal, we realized it was boneless! My friend decided to tell the guy, who felt sorry and asked if we wanted to change. Then he asked my friend if she has Kim Hyun Joong's latest album, to which she said she hadn't gotten the chance to buy it yet. He then left and came back, giving her an unopened album! (He also said he'd throw in our drinks for free, but he didn't, but I'm not complaining). 

I feel sad that I viewed this restaurant only as a place to eat and not as an idol restaurant. This one seems so commercialized, with the storefront displaying Kim Hyun Joong's face three times and the workers (who don't seem like his family) trained for tourists. I guess I just like the homely ones more.

No comments:

Post a Comment