Sunday, August 31, 2014

Day 56: Revisiting Myungdong Station, Attaining Heaven and Resting at a Sauna

Today, August 16th, I was determined to find that "Heaven" garden that I failed to find last time! But before heading out of the city again, I stopped by Myungdong Station one last time. Both Kpop stores had new inventory! The not-corner Kpop store had several official clear file sets from the That Summer 2 Concert for only 18,000₩ (which I bought for 15,000₩ from waiting in line for 13 hours...). And the corner Kpop store had so much Infinite merchandise, though none from the latest concert. They had a used Over The Top album for 99,000₩! And also two clear file sets from the Infinite Fan Rally for 35,000₩ each, one type of Natuur Pop photocards for 10,000₩, one type of Natuur Pop clear files and three One Great Step desk/mouse pad sets for 23,000₩ (originally 17,000₩ at the concert venue)! With so much new and differing inventory all the time, I really do think all of these products are legit because it's hard to make fake things of everything.
Anyways, so I ended up buying the Natuur Pop photocards and desk/mouse pad set. Anything official and Infinite related, I instinctively just grab it from the shelf and must have it...this is such a bad addiction. I'm surprised I didn't buy the OTT album also.

And now, on to Heaven! It's actually called 벽초지문화수목원, or Botanical Garden BCJ (which stands for Byeokchoji), and it's located in the city of Paju. So I had to lug this big thing all the way up north. But it was nice knowing I'm bringing Infinite with me on my last full day in Korea.
This garden is in the city of Paju, north of Seoul, which is all the more reason why I call this garden "Heaven." It's complicated to get here by public transportation, and took us three and a half hours to finally reach our destination from Seoul via the subway, bus and walking. It is really in the middle of nowhere and in a less developed area. We waited quite some time for a second bus, and found a very active beehive in the bus stop.
After waiting awhile, we decided to walk to the next bus stop, and we saw the bus finally coming! But the driver trolled us and passed on by, though we were walking on the side of the road (practically in the right lane with cars and trucks going into the left lane to pass us). And not another bus came by again. We walked for about half an hour on the and the few taxis that passed by were occupied (probably going to the garden -.-). Eventually we made it!
We didn't see it until we came out, but in front of the garden is a billboard of the many dramas and commercial films that came to this garden to film!
This botanical garden is vast and is broken up into different sections that greatly differ from the next. I suggest grabbing a map (they have English ones), but grab also the Korean one as they list different dramas than the English one) at the entrance; they numbered each section of the garden, making it easier to find certain filming locations if you found out their numbers beforehand. Exactly three months after visiting here, I just find out that this is where episode 4 of variety show Mamma Mia (the episode where Dongwoo and his mom guested!) was filmed here! Finally this garden is now Infinite related hehe.
This is an overview of 7, the Queen's Garden, where some scenes from 49 Days was shot.
The scene from Boys Over Flowers where Kim Hyun Joong was playing the violin was somewhere around this area, but I couldn't find the exact spot, as benches have been removed so I had no reference.

Later on I found out that the ending scene from Heartstrings was filmed in this garden too and I definitely walked by those benches, but I didn't realize it until once I left Korea! I wish I had taken a picture there.
And here is where City Hunter was filmed! It looks pretty rundown now with all the weeds on the platform and no bench here, but this was where the two leads were talking on the bench.
Also here's a scene from B1A4's music video, "Tried to Walk."
And my most favorite part, why I dubbed this place "Heaven," is the Sculpture Garden! You're Beautiful took place here, as Park Shin Hye was descending from the sky, as well as 49 Days and Master's Sun. In the back is the Castle Gate, which can also be seen in the background of 49 Days.
And lastly, inside the Sculpture Garden is the famous European statues where the three members of ANJell angelically posed with! This was the highlight of my trip (besides my Infinite related experiences)! It was You're Beautiful that started this craze, and I am finally here^^

There are more areas of the garden besides these filming locations, showing its grandeur and vastness. Though it's difficult to reach, it's definitely worth coming to this garden! But if you're a huge drama fan, I suggest doing thorough research about all the dramas that filmed here beforehand, so you can find all the filming locations!

And to finish off the night, my friend and I decided to stay in a sauna in Sinchon, called Sinchon Rest. For this specific sauna, you walk up to the counter and make the payment (for adults, it was 11,000₩ a night; daytime is cheaper). The woman, who was super friendly, gave us a change of clothes, two small towels (the size used to wrap on your head like a lamb), and for guys, the locker room key attached to a bracelet. Guys then head to the third floor, while girls head to the ground floor. The woman showed me the way, as she could tell I'm a newbie sauna goer. We took off our shoes, then walked barefoot on a slightly raised wood floor into the locker room. She showed me to a locker with the key bracelet still attached. Now, in the locker room, you take off all your clothes, walk down one flight of stairs into the shower room, and take a shower (which has zero privacy as well). Soap bars are provided, and other necessities can be bought at the counter. Then there are three large tubs to soak in, one cold, one warm, and one scorching hot. Once done, go back to your locker, change into the sauna clothes, and head on to the second floor co-ed common room.

In the common room, there is a snack stand to buy drinks, hard boiled eggs, and more. This sauna only took cash, but others are more high tech and you would just scan your bracelet to put the food on your tab to pay at the end.
There are two large floors with mats and pillows to sleep on and two TVs. Connected are various sauna rooms, like the freezer room, and an igloo with hot rocks to lie on, and other hot rooms to sweat and relax in.

On the top floor was a communal sleeping room, with comfy mats and pillows to sleep on. We went to sleep at around 2:30AM, with not too many others sleeping, and by the time we woke up at 6:30, the room was filled!

To leave, you should take another shower, throw your sauna clothes into the hamper, grab everything from your locker, and for females, leave the locker key attached to the locker, while males bring it back to the counter.

Sadly this will be my last post on this blog, as this was my last full day in Korea. Goodbye Seoul (and with the concert), goodbye Infinite, thank you for the memories. Until I return~

No comments:

Post a Comment